Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Another One

I am not an organized person. I take notes that I later lose or never go back to. I have LOVED having a reading blog. Finally, I have found a format that works for me to keep track of my reading and share my reading life with my students. This is now going to be my format for keeping track of teaching ideas.

From class today (differentiated instruction):
  • Instead of having a reading-specific binder for all kids, have one binder per kid with every subject inside of it. Some of what is in it will be determined by me, and some of it will be chosen by them. Store them under my new desk, perhaps? Pull them out for every reading/writing conference, train the kids to bring them with any time they talk with me about their work.
  • Encourage students to use professor DB's strategies for becoming independent workers. #1: As yourself if you know the answer; #2: As your team/classmates; #3: Take a number and wait for the teacher to come to you. Teach them not to be "velcro kids", always at your side asking questions instead of thinking for themselves.
  • Related to taking a number- I am envisioning using numbers such as the ones they use at Culver's or another restaurant in which they bring food to your table after you order it at a counter.

No comments: